Monday, February 05, 2007

"Someone out there was meant to be the love of your life, your best friend, and the one you can tell your dreams to....He'll brush the hair out of your eyes, give you kisses on the forehead, and hold you tight in his arms. He'll call you only to say hi, just because he's thinking about you. He'll listen to your problems. He'll never let you go to bed upset. He'll look you in your eyes and tell you that your the most beautiful girl he has ever seen, and for the first time in your life you'll believe it."

I copied this quotation from the Instant Messenger profile of a friend. As I read it, it hit me...there is someone, and he's already completely in love with me.

His name is Jesus. Okay, so maybe he won't romantically kiss me on the forehead, but who better to tell my dreams to than the one who holds them in his hands and placed them inside of me? Who else is so consistently faithful to be available to listen to my problems and calm my spirit? He wants to be my first love and my best friend, and as my creator, he does think I'm beautiful.

That's why these types of wishful-thinking fairy tale quotes bother me. I appreciate the (unspoken) reminder to look to Jesus to be the fulfiller of romance, but I'd rather think about statements like this:

"A woman's heart should be so hidden in Christ it takes a man seeking Him to find it."

That's what it should be about. My heart belongs to Jesus first. And if he chooses to bless me with an earthly romance, it will be an expression of that love.

3 comments:

CUgal said...

I couldn't figure out how to delete comments, so I just turned on comment moderation because I didn't really want weird comments on my blog...

CUgal said...

but, for my real comment...

i loved this post!!! I especially appreciated the quote about a woman hidden in Christ...I heard it before, but love it everytime I hear it!

hope you're staying warm. It's frigid here...but it's snowing right now, so I guess it's ok! : ) how are you doing?

with love.

Gecko Girl said...

Karissa - this is beautiful - your quote at the bottom applies to women of all stages in life - thanks!

By the way - I explain how to delete these kinds of comments on cugal's post with the words to You Shine. You don't need to use comment moderation. they are annoying, and sometimes come in droves at a time. they are easy to delete when you are signed in to your blog by clicking on the little trash can under the comment - when the delete window comes up, make sure you check the box that says "delete forever" first - something like that.