Sunday, March 18, 2007

I went to a war protest this weekend.

I know, I know. Me? I was surprised too. But don't worry. I didn't hold any angry signs or yell obscenities. All I had was a small electric candle, symbolizing the light of Christ and his call for peace. And all I said, aside from conversations with my friends and strangers along the 4-mile walk from the National Cathedral to the White House, was "Peace," which we chanted at the White House. And songs--we did a lot of singing. "We Are Marching in the Light of God," "Amazing Grace," "Dona nobis pacem," "This Little Light of Mine," and others were all repeated multiple times along the way.

This was the Christian Peace Witness for Iraq. I traveled there with 4 of my friends after the EMU bus was cancelled due to bad weather. We arrived at the Cathedral late because snow and traffic made our trip from Harrisonburg to D.C. nearly 4 hours long and were surprised to be asked by a reporter if we would mind saying a few words for some Channel 8. I wonder if we made it on the news that night...? We walked into the Cathedral and were stunned by the realization that it was filled to capacity. Anyone who has visited the Cathedral may remember its size. Well, on Friday night it was packed with 3,000 people of all Christian denominations from 48 states. We happened to walk in just as they started singing "God of Grace and God of Glory," which was beautiful. All those voices resonating off every wall and pillar made an amazing sound. National denominational representatives spoke, led responsive readings, etc. We missed what sounded like some of the most interesting parts of the service, but we did get to hear Jim Wallis speak. For me, the most memorable thing he said was, "America is not the hope of the earth and the light of the world – Jesus Christ is!" Perfectly stated. Go to http://www.beliefnet.com/blogs/godspolitics/2007/03/jim-wallis-marching-orders.html for a transcript of the whole speech.

One of the things I most appreciated about the service, and the entire event, was that it wasn't angry or politically partisan. Speakers criticized both President Bush and the timid Democratic Congress that, so far, is proving itself too weak to stop the war. There was no yelling, except for the calm chant of "peace" at the White House as we raised our lights high. I saw no signs bashing Bush or anyone else. In fact, there were very few signs at all. Nearly all of the participants seemed interested in and excited about just making a quiet stand for peace, not disturbing the peace. The beauty of the service was carried over into the walk to the White House. As we walked, carrying light in the midst of snow flurries and singing songs about light and peace, it all felt very surreal. Even as we prayed in front of the White House, it didn't seem like it was really happening. Then my feet began to feel like solid blocks of ice, and suddenly it was very real:) At any rate, it was a beautiful, worthwhile event, and I am glad I went. Even though I never thought I would go to a protest:)

3 comments:

Gecko Girl said...

WOW !!! Good for you, Karissa. I know a bunch of people who wanted to go, but couldn't since the busses were cancelled. It was brave of you to still go and I am so glad to hear a report from it. Maybe that is why the congress seems to be pushing a little harder in the last couple weeks . . . :-)

Brian Miller said...

Thanks for sharing this experience! Thanks for making this witness...on behalf of those of us who could not go.

Anonymous said...

Karissa, thanks for sharing this! I thought you might be interested in reading David Landis' (Franconia Conf.) blog journal about his experience of biking to the protest.

http://franconiaconference.org/blog/news/dplandis/witnessing-for-peace-and-saving-our-soul